|TAMPA, Fla. (September 9, 2020) – After a fun fueled virtual weekend in Virginia Beach that saw 11,000 participants celebrate 20 Years of Running in one of America’s favorite beach towns, the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip Tour Bus has rolled into to Los Angeles, California for the second stop of the 15-race virtual running tour across the United States. Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Los Angeles will offer Rock ‘n’ Rollers the opportunity to virtually run the star-studded boulevards of the City of Angels for the first time since the event was retired in 2018. Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Los Angeles will be open and available to the entire global community from September 11-13, consisting of a 10K, 5K, and Remix challenge. All virtual races during the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip will begin weekly on Fridays at 5 a.m. ET and close Sundays at 11:59 p.m. ET with participants being able to compete in the virtual tour stop anywhere, indoors or outdoors, as long as the distance of their choosing is completed in one session.
This weekend’s stop in Los Angeles offers a break in the long-distance mileage of the Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running™ (VR™) Series, with its friendly 5K and 10K options. Los Angeles is often billed as the "Creative Capital of the World,” with one of every six residents employed in the creative industry. There are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers, and of course, our favorite, musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any other time in history. The Hollywood neighborhood is the center of the movie industry, and LA is home to many major film studios and record labels.
Featured Rock ‘N’ Roller - Briana Sharp – Los Angeles California
Over the weekend, avid runner and Rock ‘n’ Roll Ambassador Briana Sharp, will be taking over the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series Instagram Story on Friday. This Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer and yogi shares a passion for fitness and a healthy lifestyle and is always looking to inspire others to find their own fitness. Sharp, a native Los Angeleno, will be running from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, giving the Rock ‘n’ Roll community a one-of-a-kind tour of some of LA’s most iconic landmarks by foot. Sharp will provide runners a first-hand view of the Third Street Promenade in Downtown Santa Monica, hit the end of the world-famous Route 66 at the Santa Monica Pier, run along the iconic bike path traversing the beaches, pass down Ocean Ave, before finishing her run with California favorite In ‘n’ Out. Rock ‘n’ Rollers can experience LA and follow Briana’s footsteps on Friday at www.instagram.com/runrocknroll/
LA Inspired Running/Walking Plans
Participants are encouraged to be LA inspired in their virtual activities and share photos and videos on social media by tagging #RnRVRLosAngeles
. Don’t live in-or-around LA, no problem. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Road Trip has some tips on how runners and walkers can experience la-la-land in their own communities:
Fun Run Prep for the Rock ‘n Roller in the House
- Walk (or Run) Among the Stars - Inspired by the Hollywood Walk of Fame, give yourself somewhere to celebrate by drawing a star in chalk on the sidewalk where you’re starting your run and write your name inside the star when you finish!
- Art to Heart - Griffith Park in LA is one of the largest urban parks in the US with incredible street art and murals. Run through your downtown’s artsiest neighborhood or your favorite park to pay virtual homage to Griffith.
- Beaches, Boardwalks and Palm Trees - Venice Beach is hard to beat, but with some imagination you might be able to conjure up a palm tree or two as you complete your virtual LA race as close to the water as you can for that true So-Cal vibe.
- Halloween Trial Run – Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles was historically a Halloween race, so give this year’s costume a literal trial run by dressing up for your run.
- Popcorn and a Movie - Get ready for the big run or walk by taking it easy the night before. Make some popcorn and take in one of 57 films that Timeout.com dubs the films that best capture the city of LA: Chinatown, La La Land, The Long Goodbye, Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, LA Confidential, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Speed, Punch-Drunk Love.
- Animal or Cali Style - Recreate Southern California’s flagship fast food, In-N-Out Burger, by whipping up an animal style post-run family BBQ after your run. Or, go as authentic as you can get by stopping in at your favorite local chain’s drive-through. Burgers not your thing? Pay homage to one of the epicenters of Mexican food by making or picking up your favorite tacos or burritos.
- Your Own Personal Concert – Ever wanted to take in a show at The Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theater or Los Angeles Music Center, build out your favorite tunes for a playlist that takes you there and makes your body move. Need some music inspiration, check out this weeks featured Apple Music Playlist – Glam Essentials
- A Jaunt Through LA – In LA or planning a future visit? Here are 10 things to do and see when you make your way to SoCal.
- Take a run down Venice Beach
- Snap a pic of the Hollywood sign - go ahead, everyone does it
- Jog along Mulholland Drive at dusk for a spectacular view of the city
- Check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame & Grauman’s Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd
- Take a selfie on Santa Monica Pier
- For a tried and true LA taco, head to one of Leo’s Taco Trucks
- Get your friends and go on a food walking tour at the LA Farmers market
- Visit the Arts District and check out the large collection of street art and murals
- Visit Griffith Park, one of the largest urban parks in the US
- Grab a post run burger at In-N-Oout Burger
To register for Rock ‘n’ Road Trip event, runners or walkers only need to sign up through the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club platform and connect to their tracker app. Runners can then complete their registration by going to the “Events” tab and clicking “Register Now” for free on the virtual race page. For additional information on how to register, visit Getting Started Guide
Through the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip, participants will be able to earn exclusive digital event badges for every race and distance they complete; download race bib to personalize the experience; reward themselves for their efforts with cool destination themed finisher medals and T-Shirts; and earn points redeemable for sweet swag and more at www.runrocknrollstore.com/rock-n-roll-vr
. Finishers who complete the Remix Challenge also earn access to additional medals.