Boilermaker Postponed Until September
April 13, 2020 (Utica, NY) For the first time since the race’s inception in 1978, the Boilermaker will not be held on the second Sunday in July. The 15K presented by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield and Utica National 5K will be postponed and rescheduled for September 13th, 2020; the second Sunday in September.
This very difficult decision was made in concert with our medical support team, the NYS Department of Health and most importantly, with the safety and well-being of our runners, volunteers, staff and our community in mind.
Right now, our focus is on providing the participants, whether they have already registered or wish to join us on September 13th, 2020, the important information they need.
This morning, all currently registered participants were sent e-mail communications detailing the situation. They were provided with several choices on how they would like to proceed, how to make those choices, and how long they will have to make their decision. A brief summary of that process and the choices available to current participants follows.
Current participants will have until April 30th to select from one of these options through their RunSignUp profile:
· Remain in the field and participate on the postponement date
· Receive a refund and be removed from the field
· Transfer registration to 2021 at no additional cost
· Donate registration fee to the Boilermaker to help the organization through this unprecedented challenge
Prospective New Registrants:
- We have suspended new registrations effective immediately. This is to allow ample time for current registrants to make their decision and organizers to process this data
- Registration for the postponement date will resume on Friday, May 1st, 2020
Expo and Other Events Surrounding Boilermaker Weekend:
- The Boilermaker will be working on all of the other traditional events in the coming weeks and months and will share that information as it becomes available. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we navigate these unprecedented circumstances.
“The Boilermaker has been bringing our community together for 42+ years. This year, possibly more than ever before, our community needs an opportunity to come together and celebrate,” said Mark Donovan, Boilermaker President. “We hope to be that vehicle once again come September. However, like our July date, if it is not prudent to go in September, we will not put the safety and well-being of our runners or our community at risk. In the meantime, we urge everyone to stay safe, stay positive, stay at home and long may you run”.
For more detailed information, visit boilermaker.com.
The 43rd running of the Boilermaker Road Race will take place on Sunday, September 13th, 2020.