2019 TCS New York City Marathon Application Opens on January 14
New York, January 10, 2019 – New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization, today announced that the application for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon entry drawing will open on January 14. By visiting tcsnycmarathon.org, runners can register for free for a chance to gain entry to the largest marathon in the world, taking place on November 3.
The TCS New York City Marathon is one of the most anticipated and iconic annual sporting events in New York City, drawing in fans and runners of all ages and abilities from around the world. Last year, a record-breaking number of 105,184 applications were received through the drawing. Among those applicants, 15,640 runners were accepted into the marathon. The month-long entry application window is open to runners ages 18 and older and limited to one entry per person. The entry drawing calendar includes the following dates:
Important Dates for Runners
· January 14: Application window opens at 12:00 p.m. EST for the entry drawing
· February 14: Window closes for applications at 11:59 p.m. EST
· February 27: The drawing takes place and runners are notified of their gain entry status
“The TCS New York City Marathon is a one-of-a-kind experience featuring the largest marathon field in the world running through the neighborhoods of New York City’s five boroughs,” said Michael Capiraso, president and CEO of NYRR. “We welcome the thousands of runners who are starting their 2019 TCS New York City Marathon journey, whether they are entering the drawing for a chance to run or claiming a well-earned guaranteed entry.”
If runners do not receive entry through the drawing, they can still obtain entry to the TCS New York City Marathon in the following ways:
· Run for NYRR’s Team for Kids: Runners receive a guaranteed spot in the race by registering to run for NYRR’s Team for Kids. Team for Kids is the TCS New York City Marathon’s largest charity and raises funds for NYRR’s free youth running programs for kids who would otherwise have little or no access to regular physical activity.
· Run for an Official Charity Partner: The NYRR Official Charity Partner Program offers an opportunity for nonprofit organizations to raise funds to support their missions and services. Participating charities can offer guaranteed entry to runners who fundraise on their behalf. A full list of the Official Charity Partners for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon will be available on February 27, 2019, the date of the drawing.
· Run with an International Tour Operator: For those who live outside the United States, guaranteed entry along with the purchase of a "Marathon Package” may be available through an official International Tour Operator (ITO). International runners who reside in countries that do not have an ITO may purchase a Marathon Package from an ITO in another country.
Runners who received guaranteed entry through the following methods need to register by the February 14 deadline as well:
· Participation in NYRR’s 9+1 program in 2018: The 9+1 and 9+$1K programs allow NYRR members who meet eligibility requirements to earn guaranteed entry by completing nine scored, qualifying races and serving as a volunteer at one NYRR event. Runners must have completed their 9+1 program requirements toward the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon by December 31, 2018. Individuals can choose to donate $1,000 to NYRR’s youth and community services programs in place of the +1 volunteer service component.
· Completion of 15 or more New York City Marathons: Runners who have completed 15 or more New York City Marathons receive guaranteed entry in future years.
· NYRR Virtual Racing: Entrants who registered and completed the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon – Virtual 26.2M receive guaranteed, non-complimentary entry to the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon during the application window. Spots in the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon – Virtual 26.2M were available at a first-come, first-served basis, and registration filled in seven hours.
· Qualifying by Time: Applicants who met the time standards at one of the following NYRR races in 2018 are eligible for guaranteed entry in 2019: 2018 NYRR Fred Lebow Manhattan Half, 2018 United Airlines NYC Half, 2018 SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon, 2018 Popular Brooklyn Half, 2018 NYRR Staten Island Half, and 2018 TCS New York City Marathon. A limited number of time-qualifier spots are available to runners who meet the time standards in a non-NYRR race. These spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Qualifying standards can be found at this link.
· Cancelling Entry to the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon: Entrants who officially canceled their entry to the 2018 TCS New York City are eligible for guaranteed non-complimentary entry to the 2019 race. Entrants who cancel their entry in consecutive years are not eligible for guaranteed entry after the second consecutive cancellation.
Last year, 52,811 runners crossed the TCS New York City Marathon finish line, making it the largest marathon in the world. Since the inaugural marathon in 1970, there have been 1,229,353 total finishers in New York City Marathon history.
For more information and to apply for the 2019 TCS New York City Marathon, visit tcsnycmarathon.org.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the largest marathon in the world and the signature event of New York Road Runners (NYRR), the world’s premier community running organization. The race is held annually on the first Sunday of November and includes over 50,000 runners, from the world’s top professional athletes to runners of all ages and abilities, including over 9,000 charity runners. Participants from over 125 countries tour the diverse neighborhoods of New York City’s five boroughs—Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan. Race morning also features the Rising New York Road Runners Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon, a race within Central Park that ends at the marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and 10,000 volunteers line the city’s streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the globally televised broadcast. The race is a founding member of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 49th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 3, 2019. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.