Savannah Sports Council Event Manager
The Sports Event Manager will join a passionate team led by the Director. The primary goal of the event manager is to independently execute all Savannah Sports Council owned and hosted events. The Savannah Sports Council, a division of Visit Savannah and the Savannah Chamber, has a rich history of operating and hosting several events. Current events operated by the Savannah Sports Council include:
- The Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run – A 29-year-old event that features nearly 5,000 runners annually in a 5K, 10K, and Double Pump.
- The Publix Savannah Women’s Half Marathon and 5K – A 6-year-old event that features 3,000 runners annually in a half marathon or 5K
- The Georgia Power Sports Awards – A 25-year-old event that honors local sports teams and career achievements.
- The Enmarket Savannah Hockey Classic – A 22-year-old event that features four ACHA College programs with nearly 10,000 in attendance over two nights
- The Inaugural NAIA Senior Football Classic – Held for the first time on December 14, 2019, this event will feature the top 120 NAIA senior football players from across the country
- The 2020-2021 NAIA Lacrosse Men’s and Women’s National Invitational – Beginning in May of 2020, Savannah will host the top 8 men’s and top 8 women’s NAIA lacrosse programs for a four-day tournament.
Additionally, the Savannah Sports Council works with a host of other event organizers throughout the year to assist in their event production and execution.
Title: Event Manager
Reports to: Director, Sports Council
Overview of Position:
As an employee of Visit Savannah, the Event Manager of the Savannah Sports Council is responsible for managing event operations related to Savannah Sports Council owned and hosted events. The Event Manager will work closely with the Director to help maximize revenue opportunities for current events, including sales of sponsorship and management of all event related logistics.
- Manage existing sports-related events: Enmarket Savannah Hockey Classic, Publix Savannah Women's Half & 5K, Sports Awards Luncheon, and Enmarket Savannah Bridge Run; as well as other newly developed sports-related events.Duties would include, but not be limited to developing timelines and event manuals.
- Responsible for management of day-to-day objectives related to Savannah Sports Council owned and operated events, which includes committee meetings, volunteer meetings and operational meetings.
- Independently negotiate and retain sponsorship revenue opportunities for Savannah Sports Council owned and operated events.
- Manage and evaluate revenue related to expenses, ticket sales, and registrations for Savannah Sports Council owned and operated events.
- Utilize and manage social media accounts and websites related to Savannah Sports Council owned and operated events, including graphic design for both, as needed.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of advisory board meetings, which includes communicating with board members, recording meeting minutes and creating presentations.
- Attend conferences, tradeshows and networking opportunities to learn about industry trends that can better serve the Savannah Sports Council and enhance partner / sponsor relationships.
- Assist in the coordination of site inspections for visiting organizations or potential sponsors, showcasing hotels, facilities, attractions and community aspects of interest.
- Maintain a well-informed working knowledge of all hotels, sports facilities, attractions and services, both public and private, available in the area.
- Maintain an awareness of competitor's products, promotions and industry issues that influence sales by establishing a rapport with other divisions within our organization and members.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with personnel from each facility.
- Maintain a membership in good standing with the industry organizations that will assist in accomplishing organizational goals.
- Represent and maintain exposure of Savannah Sports Council at all important industry and civic events.
- Manage CMS for SSC projects in Basecamp for all event related projects requiring work from other departments.
- Maintain a cohesive working relationship with all other personnel to successfully accomplish Savannah Sports Council, Visit Savannah and Savannah Chamber of Commerce goals.
- Handle additional responsibilities and projects as assigned.
- Complete commitment to the goals and mission of Visit Savannah and Savannah Area Chamber.
- Event Manager will assist in supervising Sports Council interns and contracted event employees.
Education and Experience/Key Competencies:
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university (BS in Sports Marketing or Management is preferred)
- One-to-two years of sports tourism or sports event operation related experience.
- Excellent communication, management and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and judgmental skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, industry software and the Internet.
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers.
- Experience with sponsorship sales highly preferred.
- Respond in a timely manner to all inquiries.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Regular attendance and prompt daily reporting required.
- Must be a self-starter; be self-motivated and able to multi-task
- Must be flexible and be able to adjust to changing conditions, circumstances and priorities
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude and cooperate with staff
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening hours. This position requires occasional domestic business travel. Reasonable accommodations may be limited to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Event Production requires a range of hours including very early mornings and late evenings, both during the week and weekend. Additionally, the nature of this work may require heavy lifting up to 75 pounds and work around dirt, dust, extreme weather, and ice. This position requires the ability to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time.
Additional physical demands include, but are not limited to, the ability to drive/transport self and others and the ability to travel via airplane.
Office: 80-85%, Travel: 15-20%
Evening / Weekend / Overtime: As Required
Administration & Event Production: 80-90%; Sales: 10-20%
This job description describes the general nature and work level to be performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of job responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Updated as of: 8/5/2019