Race Manager: Philadelphia Parks and Recreation
Agency or Department Description:
The City Events Office is part of the Managing Director’s Office and produces running and race events in the city which include the Philadelphia Marathon Weekend, the Blue Cross Broad Street Run along with the Philly RACES Running Series.
- The Philadelphia Marathon Weekend, which takes place the weekend before Thanksgiving, welcomes nearly 30,000 runners, 60,000 spectators, and 3,000 volunteers each year. Race Weekend features the AACR Philadelphia Marathon on Sunday, the Dietz & Watson Half Marathon, Rothman Orthopedics 8K and Dunkin Munchkin Run on Saturday, and a free two-day Health & Fitness Expo on Friday and Saturday.
- The Blue Cross Broad Street Run is a 10-mile, point-to-point race and is the largest 10-mile race in the country with close to 40,000 runners.
- Philly RACES is a series of running events that were established to support the health and wellness of Philadelphians through events that engage more youth and adults in park spaces as well as to build running program offerings across a variety of skill levels to grow these events.
The Managing Director’s Office [JR1] is seeking an organized and creative person to fill the position of Race Manager, reporting directly to the Executive Director of Philadelphia Marathon Weekend and the Blue Cross Broad Street Run. The Race Manager will support the planning, programming, management, and evaluation of a series of small and large-scale races that are operated and/or supported by the City of Philadelphia. The successful candidate will have experience producing large events that attract between 30,000 and 40,000 participants. The Race Manager also must be detail-oriented with the ability to delegate and multi-task; have excellent time-management skills and work well with a diverse group of people, which include City employees, participants, sponsors, contractors and vendors in a sometimes fast-paced environment.
- Planning and executing, in coordination with race support staff, a variety of tasks needed to produce a road race including but not limited to: start/finish line set-up and oversight; development of course logistics; water station management; medical and security logistics; coordination of awards; and the programming of kids’ activities
- Participating in meetings regarding the promotion, planning, and implementation of events
- Managing various contractors for the Philadelphia Marathon Weekend and Blue Cross Broad Street Run
- Coordinating and managing vendors, staff and consultants
- Attending external races, expos and conferences to promote events
- Coordinating charity programs for races
- Organizing and directing volunteer coordinators to recruit, train and manage volunteers at events
- Social media management; ability to respond to emails, Facebook messages, and phone calls from participants, staff, vendors and consultants
- Assisting the Executive Race Director with sponsorship management including fulfilling sponsor requests; maintaining sponsor fulfillment spreadsheet; and managing sponsor deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3 – 5 years of experience with sports marketing, race management, project management or event management required
- Proven experience managing large, multi-step, detailed projects
- Personable, detail-oriented, and organized with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to work within a team environment; experience working with and around volunteers required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent people and relationship building skills; experience working with the public and the ability to speak confidently in public settings
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with social media platforms preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours including evening or weekends as needed
- Clear and valid driver’s license required