Houston Marathon Committee: Coordinator, Venue Operations
reports to the General Manager & Managing Director, Operations
Job Description & Responsibilities
updated May 22, 2019
To apply for this position, send resume and cover letter to:
Senior Manager, Elite Athlete Program & Race Operations email@example.com
Phone interviews will begin on June 10.
Goal for onboarding is early July to early August.
Venue Management – George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB)
Oversee All Race Day Pre- & Post-Race Service Areas: Finisher Merchandise, Gear Check, H-E-B Breakfast, Runner Reunion, Information Booth, Finisher Photos, Port-a-Cans, Church Services, etc. An established volunteer team will help you accomplish the build, execution and tear-down on event week. The former Venue Operations staff person has moved to a new position within the marathon staff and will be available to help train you throughout the planning process.
- Oversee all planning and execution for race-day participant services offered within the GRB, including processes and systems, physical infrastructure design, supplies and equipment, volunteer team members, vendors and contractors
- Work with committee members, sponsors and vendors to design and implement efficient systems and processes for individual areas within the GRB, always keeping the customer experience in mind
- Host meetings with volunteer committee chairs to assess needs, distribute information and receive feedback, adjust as needed based on their input and feedback
- Design the physical space for all areas; work with the CAD vendor to accurately diagram
- Contract and coordinate with vendors to ensure timely and correct set-up, including banners, fencing, tables, chairs, stages, A/V equipment, IT equipment, electrical, plumbing, etc.
- Develop schedule for race week build, including production timelines and delivery schedules for the volunteer team, vendors and contractors
- Coordinate with staff members who own areas housed within the GRB. Help others to define their space and equipment needs, and then include the set-up and tear-down of these areas within the overall venue plan. These groups include Medical, Media, Volunteers, and VIP Services. The Venue Manager is not responsible for these areas, but the Venue team sets up all areas housed within the GRB, except for the EXPO.
- Post-race—collect feedback from all constituent groups, create reports detailing feedback, and incorporate into improved planning and design for future events
Logistics & Operations
Security & Zone Access Control