Cowtown Marathon Operations Director
POSITION TITLE: OPERATIONS DIRECTOR DATE: 8/17/2018
Operations Director performs a variety of general and specific functions of a responsible and complex nature centering around activities of The Cowtown. This requires a fundamental knowledge of all Cowtown functions including but not limited to course details, registration process, volunteer management, data management, event schedule, etc. The ability to work with the general public, runners and volunteers in a friendly positive manner will also be required. The Cowtown is highly computerized. An intermediate knowledge and experience in the use of various computer programs with a wide range of software will be especially important for the Operations Director Coordinator to function at the highest level of efficiency and effectiveness.
Operations Director reports directly to the Executive Director but maintains close working relationships with Course and Community Director, Digital Marketing Manager, C.A.L.F. Program Coordinator, Fluid/Aid Logistics Coordinator and other Cowtown staff.
Terms of Employment:
1. Year round, minimum 30 hours to 70 hours per week.
2. Salary, Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To successfully perform this position, a person must have the ability to quickly gain knowledge of all aspects of the Cowtown Marathon events, online registration process, team process, C.A.L.F. program, course, Fluid Incentive Program, volunteer opportunities, expo opportunities, misc. events will be required. Responsibilities are frequently public in nature, the Operations Director must possess exemplary interpersonal skills, and be able to interact with staff, runners, volunteers and vendors, in a prompt and professional manner, on a wide variety of running and customer service issues.
This list of duties is intended to be illustrative rather than complete and serves to show major duties and responsibilities and does express or imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the incumbent in this position. There may be additional responsibilities as requested by the Executive Director as the need arises.
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Requires a comprehensive understanding of the overall responsibilities of The Cowtown registration process and the event itself. This includes entry processing policies and procedures, acknowledgment processes, and other data maintenance related activities, and the interaction with The Cowtown.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION:Will need to be fully knowledgeable on the online registration process.
- INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION:Be Knowledgeable of the registration process of individual runners, teams, deposits, credit card transactions, phone and email inquiries.
- SCHOOL TEAM REGISTRATION and CORPORATE/OPEN/MILITARY TEAM REGISTRATION:Knowledgeable in the workings of the Team registration process and able to help staff with process if necessary.
- COMMUNITY MEETINGS:Educate and promote Cowtown by meeting with local groups (churches, schools, Training Groups, Running Clubs, City Council, City Ordinance Committee, etc.).
- PRE-RACE COORDINATION: Working closely with Executive Director, Course and Community Director and Fluid/Aid Logistics Coordinator Meet and plan all needs with regard to race courses. This includes but is not limited to the following: working with city officials, barricade company, porta-potty company, fire department, police department, Timing company, course volunteers, medical director, volunteer groups.
- RACE DAY:Provide oversight throughout the event ensuring the execution of the races is smooth and consistent.
- INSURANCE COORDINATION:Assist Executive Director in obtaining USAT&F insurance for the event.
- SOLICITING DONATIONS: Assist Executive Director when contacting possible sponsors for the event.
- CRITICAL NEEDS: Will sometimes address "critical needs" which occur on short notice and will require immediate action. Organization, prioritization, judgment, and problem-solving skills will be challenged on an occasional basis. There may be the need for overtime work.
- DATA PROCESSING:Types and processes a high volume of correspondence, documents, spreadsheet, and other information, which is distributed and may be shared with the general public and sponsors. Advanced computer skills, including the use of various computer packages needed to create word processing documents, spreadsheets, timelines, flyers and brochures will be extremely important.
- TRAVEL: Promote event by traveling to health and fitness expos and participate in race director conferences throughout Texas and Surrounding states.
- C.A.L.F.: Work closely with the Executive Director and the C.A.L.F. Program Coordinator in promoting the program by engaging school coaches and teams in the program.
Qualifications and Physical Requirements:
- Previous event management experience preferred
- Proficiency in the use of technology for individual communication
- Possess effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interface diplomatically with runners, volunteers, vendors, staff and the general public.
- Work related experience will have been gained in a higher education environment with emphasis on non-profit organizations and fund raising.
- Equivalent or similar experience in a business environment will also be considered.
- Fundamental understanding of office methods, procedures, practices, and bookkeeping or accounting knowledge.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and apply a variety of complex policies and procedures with minimal guidance. The ability to share ideas and convey them in an efficient manner is mandatory.
- Ability to clearly explain a variety of procedures and policies, to volunteers, the public and other Cowtown employees.
- Ability to organize and sometimes train volunteers and interns.
- Ability to handle various special projects on an ongoing basis while addressing daily needs of the event.
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; an ability to accurately perform arithmetic computations where required.
Qualifications and Physical Requirements:
- The highly public nature of the duties require good communication skills which will be frequently tested.
- Writing/proofreading skills will need to be employed and a good understanding of the English language, (both written and spoken) is highly important.
- Must have well developed interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work in a crowded area and handle constant interruptions
- Must be able to handle difficult situations
- Must be able to type of a computer keyboard or laptop
- Must have organizational skills and plan work flow
- Have flexibility and discretion when dealing with customers and co-workers
Qualified candidate will be required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls and to talk and hear; sit and stand, walk, stoop, kneel and crouch, have specific vision abilities, to include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus; have the ability to lift and move at least 25 pounds (boxes of t-shirts, packet materials, signage, etc.) and be required to work under periods of stress.
The Cowtown is a non-profit organization celebrating 41 years of running. The Cowtown believes it is never too late to start living a healthier lifestyle, regardless of age, size or background. A fit and active child will adopt healthy, life-long habits. Community involvement is the key to our success.
What The Cowtown Offers:
Competitive salary + benefits including medical, life, long term disability, vacation and sick time.
The Cowtown has 5 full-time staff members along with 3 part-time members and over 4,000 volunteers. A close knit community of friends and colleagues.
Please forward your resume to email@example.com no later than August 31, 2018.